Thursday, March 15, 2012

it's been a while

It's been a while since I've posted.

Haven't been doing much craft to be frank. Guess life is catching up with me.

But I did got some things done in recent times. Thought I'd share.

My sister celebrated her birthday in Feb and she asked that I make her an apron. I intially bought fabulously striped fabric but when I showed it to her she didn't like it =(. Go figure. So I bought some more fabric and made this.



I made it double sided (I love reversible things) with a pocket big enough to pop her Iphone in. Yes I know it looks like a mini skirt, but she wanted it like that. Shrug. But isn't the fabric so wonderfully fruity! And it wasn't all that expensive (I think it was $10.00 a meter) =). It was such a bright cheery fabric that I was so happy doing it! It took me an afternoon from measuring and cutting to full assembly. =). I got off to a late start since I had apparently forgotten to bring my cutting pad in the move but a lovely person made me a gift of one =). 

I went through a bit of a pincushion phase (when I dropped a needle and was dead scared that my dog would impale himself with it when I couldn't find it =().

Since I had lovely strawberry fabric left over from the apron...


This was done with little plastic dessert cups that I got at Ikea. I thought the strawberrys were yummy! I think it looks like a lovely strawberry dessert (but I could be dellusional). This is my new prefered needle nest. Is it strange that thesse fabrics made me happy? My sister of course got one to match her apron.

I also made 'strawberry jam'.



I was sick and tired of sticking my fingers into my pin box and getting stabbed. So I wanted a place to store my pins (that I couldn't drop and spill) where I got easily get the pins out and a pincushion to boot. This is what I did in the end. =)  

Eventually I changed the design because the magnet wasn't strong enough, but you get the idea =).

And of course now that I've got a fantasic pin jar I had to use it to make something right?

My lovely lace teacher is in town and she's got me started on bobbin lace again and what's bobbin lace without accessories! So I had to made myself a bobbin roll! (With of course the help of my new nifty pin jar).

I found some lovely bright pink stuff at Spotlight (not my preferred place for fabric  but who can resist a sale) on sale for $5 per meter. At first when I saw the fabric I quite liked it but I didn't love it. But since it was quite affordable I went ahead. The more I worked with it the more I loved the fabric. It made me happy! (Am I normal at being happy at my fabrics?)  

I also bought the green at $4.50 per meter. I would have prefer a bright lime green but there wasn't any =(.

This is the 'main side' with the little pockets for the bobbins and a little protective flap so that the bobbins don't easily drop out and the spangles don't get easily damaged.   


The reverse side.


Loaded! (with flaps positioned so that you can see the lovely bobbins!)


And ready to go!


I'm quite pleased with it (mainly because I love the fabric). But I did muck it up at the binding. I did a really bad job of the binding. I don't know if you can see it from the pictures. =(. I had to do it with binding since I needed to add a thin layer of batting to protect the bobbins and the spangles.

All in all I'm quite pleased with it, considering that I did it from scratch without a pattern. I did the measurements myself and figured out construction myself and everything. It took me three after work nights to complete (I spent 2 nights struggling with the binding =( - I really need to learn to do binding properly). I guess this is my first completed 'quilt'? The first time I completed something with batting.

I love it. =)

Looking at the fabrics again is putting me in a Happy Fabric Mood again.

Happy Happy Fabric Mood Day everyone!

1 comment:

Valerie said...

fab work! despite all the difficulties, you made them really pretty! way to go!