Monday, March 26, 2012

Bobbin lace

I look forward to Sheila coming round every year.

For those who don't know, I learnt the lovely art of tatting from Sheila, quite by accident.

I was walking through Spotlight (a craft store here) one day and Sheila and Jessica were at the 'teaching tables'. I walked over to check out what they were doing and someone Sheila engaged me in conversation.

I don't think I started immediately - I went home and pondered whether to take up the classes. I was still a student then and was earning some money teaching tuition. I was wondering whether my 'salary' could take it!

I decided to take the plunge and never looked back. I went for lessons with Sheila 3-5 times a week (scary I know) until she returned to England. After that I took ad hoc lessons from Jessica as well. Jessica is also a student of Sheila's, albeit she's been tatting for waaaaaay longer than me and is of course a much much much much much better tatter. So a new addiction was born... and that's where all my salary went!

Tatting bling is awesome. Colourful threads in various sizes, tatting pouches, lovely shuttles from the 'cheapie' but brightly coloured clovers to the lovely feel of David Reed Smith shuttles (still my favourite!) to the expensive scrimshaws and the priceless antiques! (Magpie tendencies setting in...)

Sheila and Jessica have taught me all the techniques, tips and tricks that I know about tatting. And they share with me much more.

One of the things Sheila got me started on a while back was bobbin lace, but I somehow never really continued (possibly becuase I was too confused). But being the hoarder as I am, I never tossed or sold my pillow or my bobbins.

So this time round when Sheila came, she gave me a refresher course in Torchon...



and graduated me to Buckspoint! (I don't think I deserve the graduation to be frank...)


I think I'm going blind staring at this... and this is not even the proper Bucks thread. I do however  love the way the honeycomb looks. Like little bubbles =). I heart!

As with tatting, the 'bling' is fabulous. Who can resist nicely turned smooth wooden bobbins, decorated with shiny and colourful spangles, in a "happy fabric" bobbin roll. Not to mention working with lovely and smooth colourful threads, hopefully turning out lovely laces!



I am blessed to have Sheila and Jessica, my two great lace mentors, in my life.

3 comments:

zarina said...

Lucky you to have found Sheila and Jessica. I managed to learn the very basic of bobbin lace from an online class but that's it. I was not successful to make the next lesson - making hearts.

Henna Zehra said...

She looks so good I wanted to learn

rainbows and raindrops said...

Hi parfesion cafe :) if you're in Singapore and want to learn tatting or bobbin lace, drop me an email!