Growing up whenever we were taken out on an outing we were both allowed either a small toy or a storybook each to entertain ourselves (particularly on sit down dinners). I remember that one of my favourite outfits was a pullover pinafore with these gigantic pockets that were big enough for a paperback book.
Old habits die hard - I hardly go anywhere without a book in my bag nowadays. I love my books and they are each wrapped in bookwrapping plastic. But even then, I'd be disturbed if the book was damaged while being jostled about in my bag.
At one point of time I kept my books in a plastic bag in my bag - not only was it unglamorous... it was also extremely noisy to extract my book!
So I made myself book caddies!
The top two were the trial ones. I made them in different sizes to accommodate different size books. They fastened shut with plastic press buttons but I discovered that the plastic press buttons also damaged my books on occasion (sob).
So the bottom two were the "improved" designs with ribbon ties instead.
I love them (especially the Scooby Doo fabric - who doesn't love Scooby Doo!) - I also had fun playing with the fancy stitches on my machine! Wooooo!
Does anyone else have pet peeves about carrying books? Or is this just me being weird. LOL. Wondering if they'd make quick easy gifts or whether the recipients would be like "what the heck kind of gift is this?!?"
(For anyone looking to make book caddies - I used pinking shears (I love me my pinking shears) and the fabric pieces were 7.5 x 11 inches!)

3 comments:
Love your idea!!!! I also love books. I have not found a solution to carrying them around as effectively as you. These would make awesome gifts. Do not no a soul who would not love them. Keep up the good work. I enjoy reading about them. You may inspire me to sew again. Tatting, knitting and crochet along with my very bad book habit made me stop sewing. I mean, you really can't do everything!
Typo, I really do not know a soul who would not love them.
Thank you for your kind words of encouragement! Craft on!
Post a Comment