Wednesday, June 10, 2015

I thought it would be a chore

The SEA (Southeast Asian) Games are biennial games involving a myriad of sports including my current favourite -
Pool. Usually the "volunteers" are students (which I have sadly passed the age for) so when the oppurtunity presented itself I thought why not. 

It seemed like a great adventure and I spent many weeks wondering what it would be like. Who I would get to meet. What I would get to learn. 

As the date grew closer the lack of organization scared me. The day before the start of the games and I still didn't know when and where to report. I didn't know the scheduling of my duties and in fact the night before, the uniform was changed at the last minute! 

Excitement turned to dread. 

When I reported on day one it was still chaotic. I was the newest bird of the lot and perhaps may have been more lost and more clueless than the rest. I was a stranger to them and they to me. But thankfully someone stepped up to the plate to get us in shape and the games were underway. 


In retrospect, NO REGRETS. 


I've met so many new people. 

I learnt so much from watching games I never watched before. 


My eyes were opened by witnessing standards of play that I haven't seen before. 


Personal achievements were attained when I got the chance to take photographs with some of the world's most famous players :) some of whom I bumped into by sheer luck! 


Thanks be to the powers that be for giving me an oppurtunity at this age! 

No comments: