Wednesday, May 28, 2014

A bit of sewing and a bit of tatting

Inspired by the ladies at the Tuesday crafting party I decided to try my hand at sewing a purse with a sew-on purse frame.

This was the end result (I didn't use my favourite fabric since this was "experimental").  


I wasn't quite pleased with the outcome. I don't know whether it's supposed to look "crinkly" - it looks okay when there's stuff inside I think. Anyone know if it's supposed to be crinkly? Please help this beginner sewer (oh dear that looks wrong... is it sewing person?)!

Do not be fooled by my apparent partial success... The partial success was based on several failed pieces and templates...


I would however like to give credit to these two webbies (here and here) which I used as references to do the templates and construct the purse.

Somehow their measurements didn't work well for me and I had to make several corrections before I could get a fabric pouch that fitted into the frame. 

I will probably get more frames (they were only $1.80 per piece) to fiddle more with the template.

I've also completed the Celtic Hexad pendant from Yarnplayer's Beaded Tatted Finery.


This was done in size 20 Milford with size 11/0 Toho beads and bicone crystals. I was quite pleased with my colour combination but somehow my completed project doesn't look as awesome as the photograph in the book. Am slightly disappointed with myself. =(

Finally significant effort was taking to drag my sleepy rear end out of bed this morning for an early morning jog - mid jog I couldn't help but feel grateful for having such a beautiful public park to jog in - I just had to snap a photograph to share.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good question I have only made a couple of purses and the pictures look good but I wonder if the fabric is too thick or if you need to press as you sew? That is only thing I can think of! :(

rainbows and raindrops said...

I doubt the fabric is too thick :/. I used quilting cotton and I didn't even put interfacing or batting!

But yes I didn't press as I went. I shall try again! Thanks for the tip!